NEWS & Upcoming Events
All are invited to all events. Just show up! Even better, let us know that you're coming!
+++ Open Table CANCELLED for this Friday Night 17 August
We were planning on Open Table this Friday night … but it turns out Amy got an ear infection from swimming in the Black Sea on her trip. How’s that for an exotic disease!! The doctor said that it’s one of the worst he’s ever seen, and she is on several anti-biotics. She is resting … as much as Amy ever rests … and I think it best that we continue to let her rest through the weekend. Thanks for understanding!
+++ Details on Mark Kinzer Sunday 26 August
Mark Kinzer is coming! Mark is a Messianic Jew who was involved in the Sword of the Spirit community in Michigan, from early in the 1970’s. He helped organize the epic Kansas City ecumenical charismatic gathering in the summer of 1977. Since the early 2000s, he’s been in annual theological talks with the highest levels of the Catholic Church about its relationship to the Messianic Jewish movement. His most recent book, Searching Her Own Mystery, is on this topic – and while a theological work, is accessible and well worth reading. Mark will be speaking on his new book, Jerusalem Crucified, Jerusalem Risen: The Resurrected Messiah, the Jewish People, and the Land of Promise. He also has a heart for community and will speak into our developing community at Christ the Reconciler.
Here are the details:
* Date: Sunday, August 26
* Time: 12:30 pm – 5:00 pm
* Location: Christ the Reconciler, 2142 FM 1704, Elgin TX 78621, http://www.christthereconciler.org/visit/
* Agenda: Lunch from 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm, then Mark will speak to us. There will be time for discussion and prayer.
* Food: Lunch will be provided – please RSVP by Wednesday 22 August
* Childcare: Provided if you RSVP by Wednesday 22 August
* Cost: Free, except for childcare. We will take up an offering to defray the costs of lunch and hopefully provide a blessing to Mark as well.
+++ Details on Richard Harvey Retreat Aug 31 & Sept 1
And wow! Richard Harvey is also coming to CTR! Richard was one of the key Messianic Jewish leaders involved in Wittenberg 2017 … which inspired him to write his most recent book, Luther and the Jews. He is a historian & theologian. Lest this make him sound boring, he lives in Great Britain and has a wonderfully British sense of humor – dry, self-deprecating, and sharp as a tack!
We are inviting Richard to speak on whatever he wants to ☺ and trust the Holy Spirit will guide him. Your part is to ask the Holy Spirit who you should invite to come and hear Richard.
We’ll get out more details next week, but here are the basic details;
* Friday night 31 Aug: Open Table with Richard, 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm, potluck dinner
* Saturday 1 Sept: Morning session 10 am – noon, Lunch, Afternoon session 2 pm – 4 pm
There will be childcare provided, and this retreat will have a registration fee to cover the expenses of the retreat (e.g. food etc.). We will also take up an offering for Richard’s ministry.
+++ Upcoming CTR events - mark your calendar
* August 17 – NO Open Table
* August 24 – NO Open Table
* August 26 – Mark Kinzer, Messianic Jewish theologian
* August 31 & Sept. 1 – Richard Harvey, Messianic Jewish theologian
* September 22 – John 16 CTR Retreat
* October 27 – John 17 CTR Retreat
Special request for perfume wearers: There are community members with sensitivities to synthetic perfumes, so please try to use only all-natural perfumes when you come to CTR. Thank you for your consideration!
Regular Weekly Prayer Times
The prayer room is open from 7:45 am to 6:15 pm each weekday. All are welcome to come and pray at any time while the prayer room is open. Access can be either through the main house (ring the bell) or directly through the door in back.
Our first goal in establishing continuous prayer at Christ the Reconciler is morning, noon & evening Bridge Prayer. Here are the times that we have Bridge Prayer scheduled, each day:
Morning : 7:50 am - 8:10 am
Noon : 11:50 am - 12:10 pm
Evening : 5:50 pm - 6:10 pm
We currently don't have enough volunteers to conduct Bridge Prayer at each of these times, every day. If you would like to volunteer to lead a Bridge Prayer session, contact us and let us know!
Every* Friday night we have Open Table. Which basically means, "come to dinner!"
* It's always a good idea to contact us if you don't receive the weekly newsletter. The reason is that sometimes Open Table is cancelled (for example if the Cogdells are out of town) ... and we would hate for you to show up and be disappointed!
All are welcome to come, but we ask that you RSVP so we know that you are coming. We will have a simple soup, you can come as you are or bring bread/salad/dessert to share.
5:30 pm - Arrival
5:50 pm - Bridge Prayer
6:15 pm - Dinner - and afterwards, discussion, prayer & worship, sunset walking, game playing, or however the Spirit leads us!
8:00 pm (or thereabouts) - Departure